Sunday, February 13, 2011

Leave of Absence, Deviled Eggs, and a Baby


Dear Readers (if there are any of you left...),

I'm not well versed in the art of deception, but I can see how it would appear that way. I started this new blog on New Year's. I started cranking out recipes on a regular basis. I started to make you believe that I would keep on posting suchlike recipes. And then nothing. Nothing. Nothing for a month...

You might have blown me off. You might have cursed me. You might have thought "Oh, she can't handle keeping up a little blog." Well, now you're going to feel bad about that for two reasons: 1) I had a sinus infection, pink eye, bronchitis, laryngitis, and a urinary infection that spread into a pelvic infection landing me in the hospital for 8 days (you can't hate on the sick...) and 2) I have new recipes all ready for posting (you can't hate on those giving you tasty ideas...).

I'm back! and I hope you will take me back. Also, we're not allowed to get sick for all of 2011. I took one for the team, so we're all going to stay healthy now.

In happier news, my friends Chiara and Emanuele are the parents of a new baby girl, Caterina! We luckily threw a shower for Chiara a mere 36 hours before Caterina decided to show up. There was fun, games, food, and loads of presents and laughs.




Before I got sick, I had so been looking forward to making adorable baby shower desserts, namely a pink, girl version of Bake at 350's cute as a button cookies and i am baker's animal baby shower cookies. So. Cute. Sadly, I wasn't up to the task (Maybe for their next shower... Emanuele still wants a boy :o] )

I was able, however, to whip up some delicious deviled eggs, which were well received, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you, even though no baking was involved. My roommate Erin has this nifty crystal deviled egg serving platter. I never knew these existed. It's now on my list of "Things I don't need, but have to have" (don't judge! you know you have one, too...).

I'm sorry for deserting you, but I'll never be sorry for dessert-ing you, so stay tuned for Valentine's Day treats and other sugary goodness!

Love,
Meghan


Deviled Eggs
yields 12 servings (if you can stop eating at 2 halves... good luck!)

Ingredients:
1 dozen eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons dijon mustards
1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
salt and pepper to taste
paprika to garnish

Place eggs in a large pot. Fill pot with water such that the water level is about one inch above the eggs and add vinegar. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat and cover for 30 minutes. Remove eggs and put in an ice water bath. Once eggs are no longer hot, roll eggs on surface to gently crack. Remove the shell and skin. Cut eggs lengthwise down the middle. Remove the yolks and place the yolks in a bowl.

Mash the yolks with a fork and combine with mayonnaise, mustard, chives/green onions, salt, and pepper. Spoon mixture into the egg whites. Sprinkle the tops with paprika. Enjoy.

Pin It

3 comments:

What's Hot This Week?