Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Grapefruit Creamsicle

abundance of winter citrus + hankering to eat a pint of vanilla ice cream = grapefruit creamsicle 

I know, I know. Just the other day I was sad about the lack of winter, but you have to embrace the present (Especially when the present is telling you that it's okay to eat ice cream). This grapefruit sorbet and vanilla ice cream combo is both refreshing and comforting. Any fruit would work well for the sorbet, but I just love grapefruit this time of year. The two treats can be saddled in a large bread pan, or in little ramekins for individual portions. 

This is not your traditional bowl of ice cream, but it could very well become a tradition.

*Note: You will need an ice cream maker for the sorbet, but I simply used store bought ice cream for the vanilla.


Grapefruit Creamsicle
Bon Appétit

yields two quarts

Ingredients:
1 quart store-bought vanilla ice cream, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated grapefruit zest
1 1/2 cups fresh grapefruit juice (about 4 grapefruits)

Directions:
Scoop ice cream into an 8x4x2 1/2" loaf pan; pack ice cream along one long side to fill half of pan. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour.

Meanwhile, bring sugar and 3/4 cup water to a boil in a small pot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in grapefruit juice. Cover and chill grapefruit mixture until cold, about 1 hour.

Process grapefruit mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Pour sorbet into empty side of pan alongside ice cream. Cover and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.

To serve, spoon across ice cream and sorbet to form swirled scoops.

Enjoy.
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying all the citrusy posts that are coming out now, especially this one. We all know the standard creamsicle with orange, but this one with grapefruit really does intrigue. I am add this to my frozen treats recipes. Delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Tina :) I need to find an orange recipe for next week... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one with the grapefruit and a great idea of using the store bought vanilla ice-cream to make this creamsicle. I don't own an ice-cream maker as its seldom I make ice-cream, so most of the time we settle for home made sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grapefruit is all over the place these days! I love it and sorbets of any sort. Since the dreamsicle is my favorite ice cream bar, you can bet I'll be giving this a go. Now if we can just get the temps a bit higher so I can eat this on the back deck in shorts....

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm I m drooling just looking at the recipe! Will definitely try this out soon! Thank you for sharing! ( P.S Gorgeous photography! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so refreshing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful and perfect for this time of year with all the citrus. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohmygoooosh I would die for this! Grapefruit is my addiction lately! so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds lovely. Who isn't a fan of a 50/50 bar? And the concept of grapefruits makes it so much more elegant. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! The grapefruit is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love grapefruit flavors. Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This could be good with cara cara oranges, which are like a cross between grapefruits and oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum!!! this looks delicious! definitely trying this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful and refreshing treat!
    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete

What's Hot This Week?