Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hummus


Hummus. You've seen it at about every potluck/dinner party these days. You've probably bought a giant tub of it before. You've probably never made it yourself though, and lucky for you, it's super simple! You just chuck a bunch of ingredients into a food processor, and voila! you have a dip that deceptively makes you feel better about your hips than ranch dressing does.


I like to garnish my hummus with a drizzle of olive oil and either paprika or some sun-dried tomatoes, and serve with some cut up pita bread (that's on the list of things to bake!). But hummus doesn't just have to be an appetizer. You can pretty much spread it on whatever you like. I like to put it in my sandwiches and wraps for lunch.


This hummus takes five minutes to make, so try it out the next time that you have a party or want to switch up the lunch routine. And most importantly, enjoy.






Hummus

yields 4 cups

Ingredients:
2 16 ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained of liquid
3 tablespoons tahini
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons olive oil
7 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until evenly mixed and smooth (about 3 minutes).

Place in a serving bowl and top with olive oil and other garnishes (paprika, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, pine nuts, cumin, etc.).
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Looks incredible. I have a soft fluffy pita recipe that would go great with this. Making this tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hummus and love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remarkable how much better homemade hummus is, isn't it? And it's so easy to do, I have to wonder why anyone would buy it from a store...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remarkable how much better homemade hummus is, isn't it? And it's so easy to do, I have to wonder why anyone would buy it from a store...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE homemade hummus! I don't make it often...but it is SUCH a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always prefer homemade hummus! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, thank you for sharing! I've been looking for a good homemade hummus recipe for so long. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos. Love the SD Tomatoes on top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this looks so good, and I have all the ingredients to make it. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh this looks delicious and really simple. And you're right, I've never made my own hummus before even though I bring a tub of Sabra to every potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm...hummus is on my list to make this week...and I think I'll be garnishing with sun-dried tomatoes for a change :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! This is one of my favorite things to make. I like to add a little cayenne, sometimes pesto, roasted red peppers, or olives. You can also use yogurt instead of water for extra protein & a creamier consistency.

    I read somewhere that taking those little papery skins off the chickpeas beforehand will make it smoother. You can soak the beans in water for a little while, and then kind of just rustle them around with your hands in the water to get most of the skins off. I think it does improve the texure, although it might not really be worth the effort. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Ingrid: Hummus Goddess! I will definitely do the yogurt trick next time and I'm always looking for an excuse to put pesto in anything, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am first time on your blog and I love it. All the photos are awesome, I would like to try so many things today. I think this will be the first recipe I will make from your blog. I will share this recipe if that is ok with you on http://bookmarkthisrecipe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. i liked your serving way of humus. i really love this meze( appetizer ) very much. if you can find tahini made by double roasted sesames. i highly recommended you to try this receipe with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ebru - thanks for the tip! i'll keep an eye out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this hummus today. It was so good, it turned my boyfriend into a hummus lover. This was simply DELICIOUS. Thanks for sharing. I posted some photos on my blog http://bookmarkthisrecipe.blogspot.com/2011/11/hummus.html

    ReplyDelete

What's Hot This Week?