Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Roasted Green Chile & Tomatillo Salsa Verde

I know that I've been missing from the blog lately. Grad school takes its toll after the first month. That, and last week I went on a planetary surface geology field trip and camping excursion to northeast Arizona. Canyon de Chelly and the Painted Desert are pretty spectacular. Check it out:




Yet another reason to love the Southwest: Green Chiles and Tomatillos. This salsa is hot, but that's the way I like it.


Roasted Green Chile & Tomatillo Salsa Verde

yields 2 cups

Ingredients:
8 tomatillos
3 green chile peppers, stemmed, cut in half, and seeded
1/2 onion, quartered
1 tablespoon lime juice
handful of cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 500 F. Remove the husks from the tomatillos and cut in half. Place cut side down on a lined baking tray. Place the halved green chiles on the baking tray as well. Put tray in the over for about 5 minutes or until the skins begin to blacken. Remove from oven and let cool
Place tomatillos, green chiles, onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt in a food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped. Cool in refrigerator.
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy for dipping,I probably make more " hot spicy " :)
    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous scenery and such a lovely salsa to go with it. I need to try making a salsa with tomatillos...this one looks so yummy~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious, and your photos of Arizona are spectacular. I'm in love with salsa verde--one of my favorite things in the world. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all.

    @ Lizzy - you do! tomatillos are my new favorite ingredient when it comes to savory :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow beautiful photos! This salsa verde looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What amazing pictures!! Looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tomatillos! I havent been able to find them in Israel. Boo. This salsa looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

What's Hot This Week?